Contact Us

100 N. 5th St.
Leavenworth, KS 66048
Get Directions
  • Phone: 
    (913) 682-9201
  • Staff Directory

Household Hazardous Waste

What is it? And what do I do with it?


Paints, solvents, thinners, automotive products, oil, pesticides, poisons, photographic chemicals, pool chemicals, oven cleaners and other household cleaning products are all considered household hazardous waste.


The City of Leavenworth Recycling Center will accept used motor oil in small quantities (1 or 2 cars). The City crews cannot accept any containers such as propane, helium tanks, or compressors from any Freon unit due to possible unknown contents and safety precautions supported by EPA regulations. Should you have any explosives or ammunition to dispose of, please call the Leavenworth Police Department at (913) 682-2260.


The City of Leavenworth does not process Household Hazardous Waste. All Household Hazardous Waste disposal issues can be addressed by trained staff at the Leavenworth County Transfer Station located at 13523 Gilman Road in Lansing (south of Lansing and east of Highway 7/73). Transfer Station operational hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. For more information about this location, please call the County at (913)-727-2858.